Saturday, May 15

salad days

Today the temperature has returned to something more like you would expect from mid May. We made the most of the sunshine and went for a walk in the fields behind our house with my dad. Flora took her magnifying bug box and found a whole host of creepy crawlies to study- she is nature crackers and will spend hour upon hour reading nature books and watching wildlife programmes.
Pearl discovered the joys of blowing dandelion clocks for the first time and couldn't get enough of this new novelty.
I took the foraging book that I am borrowing from the library in the hope of coming across some tasty free snacks. From the book we identified some garlic mustard which can be used as an alternative to garlic to flavour dishes- unfortunately after picking it and carrying it for a while I decided it smelled really rather disgusting and chucked it back into the hedgerow!


We also found some ground ivy, whose leaves can be dried to make herbal tea. I have hung up the leaves to dry them out and will be trying out the brew at a later date (I'm not holding my breath, I have to say). I think it is a bit early in the year for any really good foraging finds, but I made a mental note of a couple of crab apple trees, some brambles and a hazel tree which will definitely be worth revisiting in the late summer and autumn.

I am also hoping to do a bit of home brewing in the coming weeks- I have been swotting up on recipes for dandelion wine and elderflower champagne. We passed plenty of elder trees on our walk, but the flowers haven't opened yet, so I will be coming back in a month to gather some. Coincidentally, I saw some wine making paraphernalia up for grabs on freecycle today- keeping my fingers and toes crossed that someone didn't beat me to it!














After our walk we enjoyed a late lunch of pizza with a salad made from our very own lettuces picked straight from the box. Delicious!









I am conscious that I haven't showcased the veg box for a few weeks- it's really coming on and the produce is looking rather bountiful. I can't wait until I'll be able to harvest some spinach in a few weeks' time- spinach risotto is one of my all-time favourite dishes.

Hope everyone else is enjoying their weekend too!

5 comments:

  1. your little plot is really coming on!, we went to visit the house we're moving to yesterday & they have a huge patch of rhubarb ready to be picked, i was very tempted to ask if we could take some, as i don't think they'll use it,
    George has also discovered the joy of blowing dandelion clocks, but drives me crazy by having to ask what time it is every time he does!
    Kellyx

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing like a spot of foraging. We keep looking out for elderflowers, but it's still (unfortunately) a little bit too early.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just discovered your blog - it's idyllic! I remember I loved doing dandelion clocks and was always grumpy when I'd blown the last one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to read this foraging book! We have an elderflower tree by the kitchen that annually spits out it's messy black berries and for the last few years I've missed the season to make cordial. But not this year, you've inspired me to catch those flowers before they're gone! Note I have no idea how you actually make the cordial, I might need those berries after all. The lettuces look scrumptious and the raised beds are a treat x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your little plot of garden. Thats exactly what I want!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I read and appreciate every single one. I would love to have time to reply individually to them all, but daily life always seems to scupper my plans x