Today I have been playing at being the stereotypical Oxfordshire 'yummy mummy' (Boden wellies excepted) as it was my turn to go in and help out with Flora's class and have the chance to see what she gets up to at school. I really could get used to having all this time off work, especially when the sun's out.
Flora's lovely little school is one of the main reasons we moved here, as they place a huge emphasis on the importance of learning outdoors, with a number of outdoor classrooms, lots of nature areas including a pond complete with tadpoles and their own wooded area with a fort.
Friday is 'woods day' where all the children don wellies and spend the whole afternoon running around in the woods, swinging from trees whilst looking for wild flowers and minibeasts.
Flora always comes back from school caked in mud, covered in scrapes and bruises and with her hair matted with sticky-buds- just the way it should be!
Back to work tomorrow, sigh.
What a fantastic way to learn... nothing better than learning from experienceing something... I did much prefer Jamies school in Holmer Green to the one back here in Somerset... I fear she would have done so much better had we stayed in Bucks... hey ho you gotta roll with the punches...
ReplyDeletex Alex
Lovely to have a place where they encourage the outdoors pursuits.
ReplyDeleteThat looks a lovely little school. Reminds me of the one I went to in Berkshire in the 70's.
ReplyDeleteWow what a school.
ReplyDeleteWish they were all like that.
Oh. Wow. I didn't realise that schools like this existed, can totally understand why you wanted to move to be able to send them there. This has completely raised the bar on Infant schools now, I best start looking for a good one soon!
ReplyDeleteThat sounds ideal - I wish our school would let the children climb trees. Everyone's too worried about health and safety now!
ReplyDeleteLovely blog by the way.
x
you look so beautiful (& happy) in the top picture
ReplyDelete