Wednesday, June 16

alloto luck

I am so happy to finally have an excuse to hang out up at the allotments! It's such a beautiful, peaceful and remarkable place to be with stunning views for miles and miles. Everyone I have bumped into up there so far has been so friendly and helpful- there's such a strong sense of community and generosity that appeals to my socialist ideals!

We have been hard at work digging over our little patch, clearing it of the relentless horsetail plant that has taken over with it's incredibly long roots. The soil is a heavy clay and has baked into solid lumps, so it has been a challenge breaking up the chunks and preparing it for planting.

It's not just me who's been enjoying it up there- Steve has been getting into it as well, staying behind late this evening to finish it off and coming home feeling exhilarated with the physical graft and the fresh air. I can just see him turning into one of those henpecked old men who escape to their shed, like Arthur Fowler.

The girls love it up there too- Flora's been helping out with the digging and there's even some chickens on a neighbouring plot to keep them entertained.


The only things that are not loving all this hard work are my poor fingernails!


4 comments:

  1. Nice fingernauls and gardening don't gotogether but nails grow back in winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get some gloves! - I hate the feel of muck on my hands so I do everything gardening wise with gloves on, I still have nice nails so it's working!

    Great space you have - happy digging x

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks very beautiful, i can see why you all like spending time up there, can't wait to see what you're going to be growing for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allotments are great. We have had one for years and not only love growing our own but also love the sense of community you usually find.
    Enjoy
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I read and appreciate every single one. I would love to have time to reply individually to them all, but daily life always seems to scupper my plans x