We must be the luckiest novice gardeners alive!

A local woman, who hates gardening, has offered to lease us her 140 ft cottage garden for the ridiculous bargain sum of £1 per year and a small share of our produce. We can do whatever we like with it, she just wants it to be used.
We've been looking round this morning and I am bursting with excitement, but also extremely daunted by the amount of work that needs to be done as half of it is so overgrown that it's impossible to walk through, and bind-weed is wrapping itself around every tree and plant. The owner is a successful local businesswoman and town councillor, who has lived in the cottage for seven years and it looks as though she has never pulled up a single weed or pruned a bush in that time.
There is one slightly clearer area halfway down, which we will concentrate on getting ready for raised beds, and sow our first crops in that space in the spring, and have it properly up and running for vegetables throughout next year. We'll give back our little strip of allotment next Spring and if we work hard and keep learning, there is enough space to be close to self-sufficiency in vegetables.
Then, next year we will begin work on clearing further back, which will be home to some soft fruits including raspberries, blackcurrants, gooseberries and rhubarb.
In amongst the crazy bushes I did spot a few gems that we will be keeping- some plums, brambly apples, hazelnuts, elderflower and a holly bush.
Strangely, there is no pear tree though!
you are brave, but what a wonderful opportunity!
ReplyDeleteKeep looking. It sounds as though you never know what you will find! Oh, and good luck!
ReplyDeleteLot's of hard work but how exciting!
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your new adventure can't wait to see your journey
Jenny x
Wow, what a lovely lady... what a great opportunity... good luck lovely... totally enjoy it. I look forward to reading all about it.. lou x
ReplyDeleteHi again, Thanks for the comment on my blog. I am very fortunate to be very well in both mind and body, although some may dispute the former. As you would if you had seen my original comment. Just put it on the wrong blog. I think you would have been surprised to have me go on about a park you hadn't even mentioned!
ReplyDeleteAnyway just wanted to say good luck with the new venture. What an opportunity, and what genuine kindness on the lady's part. Hard work, but I'm guessing you won't mind that.
Jenny x
How wonderful for you. I am so delighted for you. Real chuffed in fact. How often do you get a neighbour to offer land to grow albeit for a £1. Bonus too that you have those fruit trees already growing too. I am so looking forward to reading more about your progress with it.
ReplyDelete