Thursday, September 30

help me obi-wan

Flora's best friend Thomas is having a Star Wars party, so I have been searching for thrifty Princess Leia costume inspiration.


Obviously, I'm thinking danish-pastry buns, white robe and blaster style Leia...


as opposed to bikini-clad slave-girl Leia (cool, but rather inappropriate on a 5 year old, and quite frankly chilly!)...


I'm thinking something like this hat might be pretty easy to whip up, or  maybe I could use some of my left over brown needle-cord for something quicker like this. I also picked up some pretty good tips from this blog for the rest of the outfit and my friend Saphy pointed me in the direction of these handy hints.


Do any of you have any other ideas? I would like it to look quite well-made, because if I get it right it will do for Halloween too.

You're my only hope!

6 comments:

  1. Mr M loves Star Wars...I'll have to forward on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh brilliant! Can I come? No maybe not, a grown woman dressed as Leia at a kids part might be wierd. I have always wanted to be her, since I was a little girl.... good luck with the costume. The fleecy hat looks easier than the knitted version. Lou x

    ReplyDelete
  3. not sure i can be of much help with Leia, but i have a whole load of darth, yoda & obi wan stuff book marked for George, i've seen one of the Oliver & s pj patterns made into a great jedi costume

    good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't think it should be that difficult. Its what we it the know call a T shaped garment. Get F to lie on an big bit of paper (sheets of newspaper stuck together) with her arms out at right angles. Then draw round her, making it flair from the underarm to the full hem. Make sure the underarm isn't too high. The line along the top of the arms should be straight across, mark where you want the neck opening to be. When you draw in the neckline the front should be about 2.5" lower than the shoulder and the back by 1/2". the collar would be a strip cut on the cross about 5" wide and folded in half down its length leaving it 2.5" wide, this will give you 1/2" seam allowance to play with. When its belted in it should look fab. Phew! hope that helps. ask if you need more advice, those 20 odd years in the west end must count for something!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nora you are a flaming marvel!

    Thanks everyone else too- I picked up a big white sheet and some other handy Leia-like bits in a lunch break charity shop trawl yesterday- so am feeling a bit more confident x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go for it! it will be better than anything else shop bought the others are wearing. Can't wait to see the results. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I read and appreciate every single one. I would love to have time to reply individually to them all, but daily life always seems to scupper my plans x