Saturday, April 9

sun and seeds

It's glorious days like today that make having our new allotment even more exciting.

Now that Spring has officially arrived, we are well on our way with planting up the more frost-hardy crops and our plot is really taking shape. So far we have planted out sprouts, broad beans, leeks and strawberries plants. We've sowed parsnips and carrots (in between the rows of leeks in an attempt at permaculture) and we've got the raspberry canes in, one apple tree, two pear trees, four gooseberry bushes and a mighty rhubarb plant. We also have a bed each of spring-sown garlic and onions which are coming on nicely and we planted our chitted seed potatoes this afternoon.


Last week we picked up a sandpit on Freecycle- perfect for keeping the girls amused when they lose interest in the gardening.


It would have been the perfect allotmenteering day, had it not been spoiled towards the end by an impertinent octogenarian stopping by to over-zealously tick us off for about 10 minutes about something ridiculously petty. I don't know why it upset me so much, but it did- mainly because we try so hard to teach the girls good manners and to respect other people's property and to play quietly so they don't disturb the peace etc etc, but it would seem that forgetting to padlock the flimsy gate behind us (when it wasn't even locked in the first place) is pensioner lottie crime of the century. I hope his tomatoes get blight. So there.


10 comments:

  1. booo! Spoil sport, silly old fart! Anyhoo, lets not dwell. your lottie is looking blooming marvellous! I'd love to come for a day and hang out. I haven't planted leeks or carrots yet, I'd better get on and do some tomorrow! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. some people are such bum-holes aren't they - how mean...i hope his plums shrivel up and his parsnip drops off!!!! i'd like to come and hang out there one day too...maybe bring my crocheting??? XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I planted my pots today too..........and twisted my knee in the process so am sitting having a medicinal glass of wine or three!
    Ignore the grump, I'm sure most of the other plot holders will be friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can just imagine the person moaning at you, we had a few like that near where we used to live, they never missed an opportunity for a moan! your hard work will all be worth it in the end (& hopefully the moaners are in the minority)
    Kellyx

    ReplyDelete
  5. rules is rules!!! .... Such a pain that you got a load of grief when a little by the way would have sufficed. Well done for having a day at the allotment. Girls look to be soaking up the vitamin D. Have a happy rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, what can you say to that. Just keep calm and carry on? Your work on the alotment is insprational!! We are soaking up the sun too, on the south coast of Ireland. I wonder, are you an OT by profession?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone- I'm over the grumpy man now, I think I just especially upset because our new neighbour came round yesterday morning to complain that our fence was scruffy and I just hate upsetting people, so it all got too much!

    Can't wait to go up there again today, although we've run out of planting space until we make the rest of our raised beds on Easter weekend.

    Gerlene- no I'm not an OT, but I do work in public services in a rather controversial and stressful profession that I choose not to advertise too much as this is my little escape from it all lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden is looking wonderful! And why can't people just let people be? Did it really make this man feel good to say something about the fence? Oh people. Well, i'm glad you are feeling better about the whole thing now. Sit back and enjoy your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got you! As an OT myself I just have to say I think you'd have been a great OT!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I read and appreciate every single one. I would love to have time to reply individually to them all, but daily life always seems to scupper my plans x