Saturday, April 3

seeds of change








and so it all begins. Having moved in to our home in July last year, it was mainly too late to get going with any proper gardening. So this year I've been itching to get out in the fresh air and sow some seeds. We rent our little cottage, so can't change too much of the actual lay-out, but we have been really lucky and it's set out quite nicely already (sage green wood stain excepted) but has been looking rather bare with just deck and turf. My gardening year began a couple of weeks ago by doing something with an unloved bare border that is in a rather shady spot. I decided to use it to create the illusion of a bit more space and dug the top-soil, covered with a weed barrier and then cut holes in it to fill with some shrubs (above top right). I got some groovy ornamental grasses (3 for £10 at B&Q) and then covered it over with some decorative fine pebbles. I like the stony brightness of it all, definitely cheers up a previously dingy corner.

This week we've built a raised bed and today (in between April showers) I filled it up with compost and organic chicken poo pellets and sewed our first seeds of the year. So far I've sewn peas, sprouts, spinach, carrots and lamb's lettuce. I am only going to do one row of sprouts because I'm the only one of us who likes them, and I'm only really growing them for Christmas!

Finally, just to add a little Purl to the Flora, I thought I'd add a sneak preview of the baby-knitting stockpile I've just begun- I have a whopping 5 friends' babies due this Summer, so I needed to get cracking! It really is Spring- new plants and new little lives all to make their first appearances very soon...

0 purls of wisdom:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I read and appreciate every single one. I would love to have time to reply individually to them all, but daily life always seems to scupper my plans x