Sunday, October 24

good day sunshine

Nothing quite beats wrapping up warm to venture out into the chilly air to feel the leaves crunching under your wellies and the see the low Autumn sun casting its whimsical highlights and mysterious shadows everywhere.



Today we made the most of the sunshine and I took the girls out for some fun, leaving Steve at home to do some blokey jobs like cleaning out the shed ready for our move. I had planned to take them to Oxford University's Botanic Gardens, but after about an hour of getting thoroughly lost and stuck in Oxford's infamous one-way traffic, I gave up and took them to our trusty favourite thrifty destination Millet's Farm.


To Flora's delight, they had a spooky ghost-hunt set up in the maze


 as well as lots of other Halloween-themed fun.


In hindsight, it was probably a better place to take them anyway- I think I was setting myself up for a fall taking to the Botanic Gardens on my own. I'll save that trip for another day when I have another pair of adult hands about!

This weekend I also treated myself to a cheery charity shop find...


and brightened up the garden for the winter with some ornamental cabbages- I planted them up in pots so we can just bring them with us when we move. I'm no horticulture fashionista, although I suspect ornamental brassicas might be regarded as a bit 'naff' amongst those who care about these things, but I think they are just the thing to cheer up a tired autumnal garden and add a bit of unusual colour and texture.


I now have a few days off work, so we're going Christmas shopping in Bath tomorrow and I'm planning a few other ways to keep the girls entertained over the coming week.

Have a happy half term xx

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a glorious day. Fantastic charity shop find. I keep eyeing up similar coffee pots, umming and ahhhing about them, then have to walk away grumbling, cos Dan would be annoyed if I bought yet another coffee pot, when I already have two decent ones I never use! Men! Just wont understand then need to own pretty things! Lou x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like the detour to the farm with the Halloween stuff going on was a lot of fun for the kids! My kids went trick or treating last night. For some reason, in this part of Pennsylvania, for as long as I can remember, we do trick or treat the Thursday before Halloween. Don't ask me why? It is perplexing. It's not like that everywhere. I've lived in other states and they have trick or treat on Halloween. That is the way I would prefer it, of course, but oh well. I love the ornamental cabbages...they are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I read and appreciate every single one. I would love to have time to reply individually to them all, but daily life always seems to scupper my plans x