Sunday, January 23

grumpy-nuts alert

 I hate January.

I feel flat, tired, lethargic, demotivated, impatient, ugly, snappy, intolerant, depressed, pessimistic, claustrophobic, gloomy and generally fed up. I crave the feeling of soil under my finger nails and the post-digging sensation of my heart gently thumping in my chest. I think this winter seems to have been particularly long and dingy and not good for the soul whatsoever.

We did manage to get out for a bit of fresh air today and have some fun at the park, which gave me a chance to practice with my new camera. But there was one of those horrid cold winds that makes your ears ache, so we couldn't stay out long.







Even the cat hasn't been going outside at all, she's taken to snuggling up on our bed and only moving for meals...



I'm trying to come up with a list of reasons to be cheerful, but I have to say I'm struggling. Here's what I have so far:

  • Going out with my old 6th-form friends for pizza and drinks next Saturday night- good times!
  • Not having to pay council tax in February and March.
  • We might be getting our own proper allotment in February.
  • We are about to book our main Summer camping trip- Cornwall this year and I get to go to the Eden Project.
  • We also have numerous other weekend trips in the pipeline, including Poole with the in-laws in May and a weekend with friends at Cotswold Farm Park, home to Countryfile's Adam Henson, who I am ever so slightly in love with. There are also some vague plans, which I need to get on and sort out, to meet up with a few fellow bloggers on a 'crochet camp', which will be very exciting.
  • Pearl should be starting pre-school at Easter- my baby is growing up!
  • I have the best family in the world (although I don't deserve them sometimes) and we are all healthy and have very few cares or worries in the grand scheme of things.

So, what's keeping you all going in the January gloom? What are your reasons to be cheerful?


5 comments:

  1. Oh cheer-up love. Just fill your home with bulbs & flowers. How about having a teaparty with a few friends and kiddies. Get the seed catalogues out and dream of homegrown cucumbers and broadbeans (yum). Buy some lovely fabric (if in the sale all the better!) and make yourself a summery top or skirt.. in that lime green you are loving so much. Yes please to crochet camp.. and maybe a weekend camping trip somewhere for us families too?? Lots to plan eh? Big hugs love... lou x

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I LOVE your new look... great photos and font. Very beautiful hun. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh great idea! I'm going to write a similar post now...It helps to list the cheerful things when you are feeling less than.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a dreary time of year and hard to find things to make you happy. Cornwall will be wonderful, we went to Eden this summer and it was fantastic. The queues were huge so if you can get your tickets in advance ( with Tesco vouchers perhaps) it's well worht it. Chin up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel this year January has been so much longer and more depressing than in previous years. But may be like childbirth you quickly forget. I would like to add fat to your list of how you feel at the moment, Then I can make it mine! Its a sad old day when not having to pay council tax for 2 months is something to make you happy. Unfortunately I can do no better.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I read and appreciate every single one. I would love to have time to reply individually to them all, but daily life always seems to scupper my plans x