Friday, March 18

flattery will get you everywhere

I was delighted to receive a blog award this week from the truly delicious Cinnamon and Truffle. They are two siblings separated by the Atlantic, sharing their love of scrummy food. I adore their blog as I am also food mad- I think just about every fond memory I've ever had is related to food in some way, it's always the deciding factor in evaluating any special occasion.

This award has also jogged my memory that I was given another award back in January from the very lovely Bear's Footprints, whose chirpy blog diaries her clever crafting and pretty snippets of everyday life, as well as sharing the pain of her husband's battle with mobility. I am so sorry that I forgot to pass it on at the time- something must have come up to make it slip my mind!

Anyway, thank you so much to both of you for mentioning me and thinking my blabbering worthy of such an honour.


Now for the tricky bit- I am asked to mention seven random things about myself and whenever I have to think of random things my mind goes blank! But here goes:

1) I never wear trousers or jeans ever. Not even for gardening. This isn't a glamour thing (anyone who knows me will confirm that I am usually far from glamorous) but simply because I have yet to find any that suit or fit me properly.

Tumblr_lgamcaqtn21qadocxo1_500_large
source
2) I am rather partial to a bit of Dolly Parton now and again- Pearl's middle name is Jolene as a homage.

Dolly_large
source

3) Whilst I am still and indie girl at heart, I'm having a bit of a dubstep midlife crisis at the moment. 

Tumblr_lhuvixze411qgrz2do1_500_large
source

4) I am naturally hugely messy, but managed to house-train myself before my husband left me. I can't say the same for my car though- it is absolutely disgusting and I am always extremely embarrassed if I have to give anyone a lift anywhere.

Tumblr_li29x4az1n1qc9ctzo1_500_large
source

5) I've never seen ET. Am I missing anything?

source
6) I was completely put off exotic holidays after a trip to the Dominican Republic as a teenager. I was so shocked by the conditions that people were living in while we were staying in our gated, luxury resort. We went to the capital Santo Domingo and there were semi-clad children running about in miles and miles of wooden shacks which surrounded a giant, floodlit American style baseball stadium that had been built by the president, who was a fan. Without trying to sound 'worthy', I'd rather not collude with such distorted values.

20080505012236
source

7) Not a day goes by when I don't miss John Peel with all my heart. Evenings have never been the same.

source
I would like to pass the award on to the following blogs- many of which I have only recently happened upon, but have quickly become mesmerised:

  • Firstly, another trans-Atlantic blogging duo Nimble Fingers and Steady Eyebrows, who share a love a needlecrafts. Their charming blog is full of beauty, talent and heartwarming friendship.
  • Next is yet another duo and a new favourite of mine Sparrows and Arrows. Stylish and inspiring, these two blog about anything that takes their fancy from interiors, to literature, to fashion and I especially love their current lists project.
  • I have completely fallen in love with Abby's blog Little Red Buttons. Her photos are just beautiful and her family bewitchingly perfect looking. They all look like they are always having so much fun.
  • I also recently discovered My So Called Life and Other Lies, written by Debbie- a Muslim convert living a thrifty, homely and enviably peaceful life. Let's face it, who doesn't edit out the less-than-perfect bits of our lives for the sake of remembering the wonderful, best bits?
  • And finally, I want to point you in the direction of my truly wonderful friend Saphy at Saphy's Progress. She is a colleague and good friend of mine who is about to embark on a very exciting and brave adventure of cycling across Vietnam and Cambodia for charity and also shares a common bloggy love of craft and all things vintage and pretty. She is one of the kindest, most generous, honest and warm people I have ever met- please pop over and say hello, I know she would love a comment or two!


It's the weekend- yip yip! x

11 comments:

  1. Had a little chuckle at the bit about your car, mine is disgusting, I blame the kids. Have a great weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Dolly Parton, bluegrass in general, but there is something quite magical about Ms. Dolly, isn't there?

    Thanks so much for the award and the lovely words! I love your blog, too! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Ms. Dolly too. how could you not? I have my grandmother to thank for introducing me to Dolly when i was very young. And don't feel alone. My car is also a mess. I blame it partially on the boys but, well, you know. I really have to get rid of the dead bug in the dashboard. Have a great weekend. And thank for the list of blogs new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dolly Parton is the TOP! My colleague and I even do a medley of her stuff in our cabaret act ... so we must like her! :-) And I am inclined to agree with your overseas comment. I have travelled quite a lot with work, and being surrounded by unbearable poverty whilst you are lording it up in the lap of luxury is, at best, humbling and at worst desperate and depressing. One of the reasons things like Red Nose Day yesterday are such an amazing show of humanity. Wish there was more of that sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dolly Parton is a definite fave - especiallyyy Jolene.

    I can't imagine a life without jeans though, you're missing out! (says the girl who only ever wears jeans, haha. To each their own!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am tres honoured. Will blog my award when I get home from seeing my dad
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh thanks so much, how kind of you! Most chuffed :) We love reading you too...Have a lovely weekend. Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  8. rightly deserved these awards. I love your blog! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Points six and seven resonate with me. I got in the habit of listening to Mark Riley on 6 Music for a while - but its not the same.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just found your blog. It's great. And you obviously have great taste in names (my name is Flora too!). Couldn't agree more about horror of luxury compound holidays. Think you might have some great tips and holiday suggestions for my family travel blog all about cool places you can reach by car, train or boat. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. We gave you this award last November too. :~} http://www.isleoftea.net/2011/11/versatile-blogger-award.html xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I read and appreciate every single one. I would love to have time to reply individually to them all, but daily life always seems to scupper my plans x