Thursday, March 31

a jobling lot

It's been yet another fabulous week for Pyrex thrifting

I started the week by picking up this lovely casserole dish for £1 in our own small town's little charity shop- simple but pleasing...


Then, in my lunch break yesterday, I ventured into a charity shop that I've not been in before, over the other side of town to where I normally forage. It was a rather jumbly and dishevelled Salvation Army shop- not very fragrant and the sort of place that gives charity shops a bad name. I literally had to get down on my knees and sort through piles of dirty tat, but it was very much worth it because

first I found four little Gaiety plates, £1.50 for all four...


I notice that, curiously, one of them doesn't quite match the other three. Three of them have a gold rim and the usual J A Jobling crown logo on the reverse...


However, the third does not have a gold rim and has a strange 'Jobling Opalware' logo that I have never seen before. The snowflakes don't seem to be quite as well printed on either, they are slightly more raised and flaked off more than on the other plates.


I wonder whether the charity shop had them in separately and then put them together as a set, although I suppose it's more likely that the original owner broke one and bought a replacement at a later date?


And now for the pièce de résistance...

Ta-da!


the most beautiful eggshell blue Gaiety divided dish for a mere £1. This is the very piece I have been coveting for months, as they never made very much block-coloured English Pyrex- this is one of the few. It's so pretty- I can't wait to have a Sunday roast to use it for my vegetables. Although, it is frustratingly minus its lid- where are all these millions of illusive Pyrex lids that have been misplaced over the years?



I now feel must apologise for the sheer geekdom to which I have descended since developing this peculiar obsession with vintage ovenware. Do let me know if I'm boring you all to tears with these OCD ramblings. I think my poor husband is a whisker away from having me sectioned...


10 comments:

  1. Blimey! You are on a roll! Love LOVE the last one, gorgeous colour. Your charity shops are in a different league to the one's I frequent. I haven't found a bargain for months! I need some of your thrifty luck. Lou xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an absolutely immense selection of pyrex - the best finds are always the ones you have to get a bit grubby for! x PS How could vintage homewares ever be boring?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pattern on that first one, I've never seen one like that before. You've certainly got the pyrex touch at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What splendid find's! however, you may need to invest in a special pyrex cupboard at this rate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are inspiring me to dig around in our local thrift shop. Beautiful finds, especially the separated dish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving it. I just really need to get out to the thrift stores and take a look. It's been a while. I absolutely love every piece that you've shown here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have exactly the same pieces too! I use the split dish for sewing paraphanalia!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I'm a new follower! I'm loving all your thifty finds! Great blog you've got, Sal x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such great finds - I haven't seen much pyrex around for a while, except for a repeat of something I already own at the carboot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those dishes are fabulous! Remind me of my gran who still use all her original pyrex to this day! ps. absolutely loving your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I read and appreciate every single one. I would love to have time to reply individually to them all, but daily life always seems to scupper my plans x