Earlier in the week I invited my friend (the one who had the baby shower) round for lunch and a much-needed girly natter. Being the lovely, generous person that she is, she brought with her some yummy left over baby shower cupcakes and one extremely special and touching gift.
This breathtakingly beautiful watercolour poster was painting by her own grandmother, who was herself a land girl during the Second World War.
My friend has been treasuring it but, having more contemporary decor, had not put it on display and thought it was a shame to have it hidden away. Knowing my interest in the thrifty, resourceful and determined women of the 1940s, she thought I would be far more likely to have it displayed where it could be treasured and appreciated on a daily basis.
Her grandmother is one very talented woman- she has dated it 1942 so she must have painted it while she was serving. I don't think it's a copy of another poster as I've never seen it before and can't find another by googling- plus the charming incorrect placing of the apostrophe makes me think it is all her own design (although even if it was a copy, it's still incredible!)
I can't take my eyes of the intricate detail on each land girl. Each girl has her own individual complexion, hair colour and body shape, which makes me wonder if these women were her actual comrades. I'd love to think so, anyway.
I have to say I was practically speechless when she presented it to me- I don't think I've ever had such an honour bestowed upon me as to be given the responsibility of cherishing a piece of someone's family history, let alone one as staggering as this.
I'm going to have it properly framed and it will be proudly displayed in my dining room for us and all who visit to admire and appreciate for many more generations to come.
Hurrah for the land girls!
What a lovely friend and what a lucky girl you are! You should get this scanned in and sell the prints, I would buy one, the print is amazing AND your friend could earn some money from it too? Emma x
ReplyDeleteThanks Emma- that is a wonderful idea! She certainly could do with some extra pennies at the moment, with her first baby imminent...
ReplyDeleteThat's a fantastic idea! x
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful gift and Emma's idea is inspired.
ReplyDeleteThat is amazing! Am speechless too x
ReplyDeleteLove, love, love your blog! The pictures of the kid and kids (ha ha!) below are so beautiful. Makes me want to move to the country even more.
ReplyDeleteErin
What an amazing gift! It is gorgeous! x
ReplyDeleteWow, Lucky you!(she is a very lovely friend) its a fantastic thing to have a wonderful piece of hobby art from the era.
ReplyDeleteWow - that is amazing, how lucky to get an actual painting, what a treasure.
ReplyDeleteThat is so beautiful - I love the war time posters and it is so special that that one is an actual watercolour rather than a print. Having said that I would buy a print! Is it me or could more people draw in the past - I think it was a skill that was more formally taught at school. Wish I could draw like that.
ReplyDeletewhat a lovely picture, so needs a deserving home, ps pop by my blog and you will see a little something for you x
ReplyDeletewow wow wow! It is beautiful and sooo you! Yes please I would gladly have one. After all, us allotment gals are our modern day land girls. xx
ReplyDeleteOh that is the most amazing gift, I adore reading about and seeing anything related to the land girls. What a lovely friend to know that you would love and appreciate and treasure it. Enjoy xox
ReplyDeletewhat a beautiful painting!! I'm sorry, I don't know anything about The Women's Land Army...I am going to look them up on the internet right now. I am so curious!
ReplyDelete