Tuesday, June 7

our backyard

Whilst I love our allotment, I've been missing having a nice relaxing outside space at home, where I can potter about with the watering can in the evening after the girls had gone to bed. When we moved here in the winter, I had grand ideas for our rather shabby little backyard, but zero budget meant that these did not come to fruition. So this weekend I headed down to the garden centre to see if I could pick up some bits to cheer up our sad little space. 


I switched my thrifty radar to high alert and was able to pick up eighteen flowery bedding plants for £7 and found some slightly droopy packs of Jamie Oliver herbs on the reduction trolley, reduced to £1.50 from £7.99 for six little pots (I bought two packs).

 

Once the plants were potted up in terracotta pots alongside the olive trees my mum bought me for my birthday and the herbs planted in the lovely wooden planter my dad built for me last year, the yard was looking a far chirpier place to sit.


A few jam jars with tea lights inside made do as the garden lighting and the bunting I won in the Me Old China giveaway a few weeks ago looked just right along the outhouse (which still houses a toilet!).


I saved a few of the marigolds I'd been growing from seed for the allotment and popped them in tin cans, for a bit of colour while we wait for the potted flowers to bloom.


All I have left to do now is sew up some little cream blinds for the windows in the shed, to hide all the junk inside. I'm also on the look-out for an old metal watering can, to stand by the garden tap, but unfortunately I was not in luck at the carboot sale on Sunday. 


I'm really pleased with the transformation and can't wait for some warm evenings to make the most of it.


Happy days!




18 comments:

  1. oo it looks so idyllic! Oh we'll have to come round for a bbq! (notice I am inviting myself over!!). Love the little finishing touches of string. lou x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of the tealights in jam jars - very rustic and magical. I wish I could have a little back yard to make my own x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks lovely - it'll be a perfect little nook when all the flowers come out! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the wooden troughs - what a resourceful dad! Also love the wood store it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, it's looking lovely - love the tea lights in jam jars, something I keep meaning to do too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've made it look fab and on a budget too. If all your blog readers send you metal watering can vibes the next time you're mooching one will call out to you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So lovely, simple and thrifty... amazing what you can do on a budget and so much more interesting too. I was very fortunate to find an old tin watering can for £1 in a local houseclearance shop but it had a big hole in the bottom so I planted a rose bush I rescued from the garden centre reduced trolley and now I have it making a lovely feature at my front door! I hope you find one soon xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful backyard - I love plants in old tins and I covet your deckchair - it is my birthday in a couple of weeks and a deckchair is on my wishlist. Fingers crossed for me and fingers crossed that you find your watering can x

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooh, an outside tap and an outside loo - with all your lovely touches it looks like you've got the backyard with everything! (the watering can will soon be found I'm sure)

    ReplyDelete
  10. you've done such a gorgeous job! i love how you tease us with close ups first and then BOOM the big moment. all the twine details with jars and cans are so sweet and simple. love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, that looks idyllic. Can I come visit?!

    Emily x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your space looks very nice!!! I like your idea of tealights in the jars - neat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely space! I may have to borrow your idea for the tea lights:-) I just set out some chairs in our garden for when we tire of weeding.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it looks lovely as does your blog, which I have just come across. Thank you. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. You, my dear, are a bargain hunter. Good job. I love all those little touches.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How wonderful! Nothing beats the peace of a peaceful backyard. Enjoy your handiwork in weeks to come.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it, love it, love it . . . everything about this post!!!! Beautiful : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I read and appreciate every single one. I would love to have time to reply individually to them all, but daily life always seems to scupper my plans x