Tuesday, September 6

toffee apple cobbler

With harvest time upon us, cobblers are a tasty alternative to the umpteen fruit pies and crumbles we all find ourselves baking at this time of year. We used apples, but you can use up your glut of just about any other fruit in yours. 

Ingredients~
  • 4 tbsp of good quality, unrefined dark muscavado sugar
  • 5 tbsp porridge oats
  • 3 tbsp milk or single cream
  • 4 brambly apples
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 3 tbsp orange juice
  • 1 tsp of demerara sugar


1) Preheat the oven to 200°C/ Gas 5. Put the oats, 1 tbsp of muscavado and the milk in a mixing bowl. Squidge it all together in your hands and then roll into 4 or 5 small balls.


2) Peel and slice up the apples and lay them out in your favourite Pyrex casserole dish.


3) Sprinkle on the rest of muscavado, cinnamon and pour on the orange juice. Give it a good stir, until all the apple slices are nicely coated. Pop the dumplings on top and sprinkle with the demerara sugar.

  
4) Bake for about 20 mins, until the apples are all gooey and caramelised.


5) Serve with a dollop of icecream, custard, or another suitable creamy accompaniment. 


One satisfied customer!


18 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I am salivating! That just looks so good! I love the little balls of oatmealy goodness. Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is happening tonight in my kitchen! Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Thanks for the recipe. We have apples and plums from kindly friends with trees, so a cobbler is definitely in order! Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  4. great idea - i made 'another' crumble tonight - luckily the kids like them, i also made apple & blackberry 'puffs' at the weekend with puff pasty, they were so easy but so very tasty, i have a feeling we'll be having them a few more times over the next month,
    kellyx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fab idea - I do love crumbles but this is a fab alternative - had never heard of it before :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How? How can you cook this right now? Willpower of steel? Looks amazing, god I'm hungry! LOVE the apple photo, you should be a food photographer not me! lou xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of this, but it looks so yummy!! Must try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no, I'm meant to be on a health kick. This just looks too darn delicious ... yum! Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooohhhhh - I do like the sound of that.

    Thanks for the recipe - I will definitely try.

    Nina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did cook it last night - de-lish-ous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh, this looks delicious! Will definitley have to give this a try.

    Katie x

    ReplyDelete
  12. adore your photos..and this recipe seems just perfect. thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Any chance I could pop over for some of this .... I will make the cups of tea!! PLEASE!! Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that does look scrummy.

    Guess what I've come home with some apples from my Dads allotment, tempted to make this - but first i have to finish eating the Pear Tart I made yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can you make it with an apple that's not a cooker...? I have 2 apple trees... One is a sweet eating apple the other is more tart but the apples are red ... So not a cooker...
    Looks fabulous ... Might give it a go regardless of not having cookers... Lol
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Drooling over my keyboard. Have to make!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I read and appreciate every single one. I would love to have time to reply individually to them all, but daily life always seems to scupper my plans x