I nearly spat out my cuppa when Flora (aged 6) told me she'd been doing a project about David Hockney at school, a few weeks back- makes a refreshing change from sponge paintings! Here is her homage to the artist himself, which is now framed and taking pride of place over my mantelpiece...
I especially love how she's chosen beach huts as her theme- a lovely reminder of our time in Brighton. Clearly the simple clean lines just don't quite cut it when you're 6- empty space simply must be filled in with smiley crabs. Just as the Bigger Splash is crying out for an inflatable flamingo.

Oh that's adorable - I love it (The crab is my favourite). First time I've ever heard of 6 year olds studying Hockney though!
ReplyDeleteCharlie did Andy Goldsworthy at school last year... lots of 4 and 5 year olds running around the park and making pictures out of leaves & twigs... Bonkers! But totally cool. LOVE this picture, yes well deserved of being framed. xx
ReplyDeleteI'd love Bigger Splash to have an inflatable flamingo - I will think of this everytime I see a Hockney from now on!
ReplyDeleteAh the whole of the ginger one's school did something similar a few weeks back. And art evening. Each year group studied a different artist from Henry Moor to David Hockney via the ends of the earth and back again. All of them were framed and put up in an exhibition in the hall. Fantastic stuff. we now have our own take on 8 yr old Pop art on the wall.
ReplyDeleteI love seeing what they do at school, it seems they have so much fun than I did!
ReplyDeleteLx
It is a beautiful painting!!! He did such wonderful job : )
ReplyDelete