![]() |
| The brilliant 'cat bus' from My Neighbour Totoro. Image from here. |
This week I'm taking advantage of the Easter school holiday and hopping on the bus to work. Living rurally, public transport is not a viable option most of the time these days, as I have to drop both girls and my husband off in three different places, before heading into work myself (all before 8.30am).
Having only owned a car for about 3 years, I cannot believe how quickly we've become totally reliant on it, not to mention the fortune I spend on keeping
it running. So catching the bus is an attempt at saving a few pennies on petrol, whilst having some rare quiet time to daydream, before the chaos of the working day sets in.
I'm especially enjoying it because it means I get to read my book, which is proving to be a particularly brilliant read. It's The Celestial Cafe by Stuart Murdoch, perfect food for the ageing indie-kid soul and seems particularly apt for a nostalgic public transport ride to 9 to 5 humdrum employment.
No doubt the novelty of being packed in with a bunch of people with germs and bad manners, whilst being shipped about like cattle will have worn off in a few days....



enjoy it while it lasts! Once a week I take the train down to the south coast. It is probably cheaper to drive, but I so enjoy that hour and a half on my own, reading, knitting.....
ReplyDeleteI'm such an old Nana!
Sounds nice and relaxing for you instead of tearing around dropping off the family by car - treat it as a mini-holiday for yourself :) Hopefully some of the germy crowds will be on holiday themselves so you might have a less packed bus. Your book sounds interesting - it's going on my next-to-read pile.
ReplyDeleteAt times I miss the commuting I used to do as I used to read so much then - but I don't know where I'd find time these days to spend huge parts of my day on buses, tubes and trains...in fact it was a total pain, and filthy too! xx
You're so good! I think if I could drive I would say good bye to public transport forever it's what my husband did. I go on four buses a day taking just over two hours altogether and it's awful. Yet for some reason it's not pushed me into saving up for driving lessons, perhaps really I enjoy the time to read blogs, listen to music.. x
ReplyDeleteI love the bus (but then I live on the outskirts of London). I had a run of people crashing into the back of my car so I gave it up. I do miss being able to get into the country though, but we learn more public transport routes all the time. Enjoy your bus journeys, it's nice to be able to do things while travelling somewhere, :)
ReplyDeleteOh cat bus! (Love that... if only real bus were like that!) Hope the novelty of the bus doesn't disappear too quickly!
ReplyDelete