Saturday, August 11

messing about by the river

How I love a sunny weekend! We've spent the entire day by the river- picnicing, swimming, paddling the girls' dinghy and making new friends. It's been utter bliss.


We are extremely lucky to have this beautiful spot just a couple of miles from home. If you fancy a dipping your toes (or more!) into some fresh water near you, check out the Wild Swimming map for the best local spots.

I am river-obsessed at the moment, especially since Steve went on an outward bound trip with his pupils earlier in the year and came back raving about canoeing. I am desperately coveting a Canadian canoe, it needs to be big enough for the whole family and camping gear. This one would be perfect. Better start saving, I suppose!

10 comments:

  1. How lovely, we have an inflatable canoe which is perfect as it fits in the car. We can fit my husband and I, our 2 boys and our dog on it plus lots of bags! Worth a look! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, will google. I'd seen the little kayak inflatables, but a big one sounds good x

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful weekend, and an inspiring post! We've just come back from the seaside, and I'm missing the sea - I must find a river to play in instead, it looks amazing. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like lots of fun! I would be too much of a wimp to swim in a river! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Such an invigorating task for us adults and a really amazing childhood memory for the children. Hope you can make the canoeing dream happen it's ace!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this looks so fantastic. I'd love to try Wild Swimming. Will go check out their site and have a look at what's in our area.
    Funnily enough when I was in Go Outdoors the other day, they had a large inflatable kayak up. It looked fab.
    I think it's this one:
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/tahiti-plus-p175331
    Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what beautiful photography! At first I was convinced you were at Freshford, which has a similar swimming river and swing rope. Can't wait to go swimming next week on our family holiday to Cornwall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love wild swimming, was the water warm? Such lovely pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where did you buy the Happy Crab?????

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I read and appreciate every single one. I would love to have time to reply individually to them all, but daily life always seems to scupper my plans x