Saturday, September 15

barter books

I've been working away from home this week and was fortunate to be staying in the most beautiful town of Alnwick in Northumberland. I wish I'd had more time to explore it properly and visit the castle and nearby rugged coastline, but my full-on schedule didn't allow much time for play. 

I did get chance to sneak in a visit to the truly brilliant Barter Books, second hand bookshop, now famous for having discovered the 'original' Keep Calm and Carry On poster amongst a box of dusty old books. The shop is based in an old Victorian train station, with a railway-style buffet and the original waiting rooms complete with roaring fires. Alongside every book you could ever dream of, there are snippets of poetry, subtle art installations and even a model railway set whizzing above the brimming bookcases. It was the most mesmerising, geeky and yet comforting environment- really hard to describe. You really need to go there if you ever get the chance.



15 comments:

  1. It looks gorgeous, could definitely while away a few hours in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like the perfect place to spend a rainy afternoon. Love the quotes running across the tops of the shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I've always wanted to go there - it looks amazing. And I bought my Keep Calm poster from them years ago! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it looks heavenly. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went there when we were in Northumberland, and it really is a magical bookstore...

    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, the perfect place to get lost in for an afternoon (or two)...love those photos too!

    Jennifer @ Fiber Flux

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh this place looks wonderful, so homely - which is a great find when you're away from home. I would have spent a fortune in there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely to have a little time away to spend browsing this place!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks amazing - I could use about a month of roaring fires and endless books (perhaps a lifetime). I will keep this on my Northumberland shelf, should I get there anytime soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol, just realized that on your last post I commented that I had signed up to follow! I have been wondering
    why your blog hasn't been popping up in my newsfeed! Silly me, lol! Anyway now I AM a follower, and really
    look forward to reading your future posts :D
    Sarah xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! What an amazing place. I just love it. Wish it were just a little closer. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is the most wonderful bookshop - I have heard of it but have never been there! I shall hope and dream of it now that I have seen your really evocative pictures ...

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I adore Barter Books ... a good friend lives not so far from there :D It's the perfect place on a horrible rainy day like today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness - I'd choose bookshops over clothes shops any day, this is my idea of heaven! Firmly putting Northumberland on my list of places to visit. I could spend an entire day in there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely adore Barter Books and when I visit my friends I always make a point of popping in there. It's such an inspirational and special place, I could spend all day in there. Love the old annuals in your photo, wonder if they had the `Bunty' annual?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I read and appreciate every single one. I would love to have time to reply individually to them all, but daily life always seems to scupper my plans x