Wednesday, September 8

embroiderers anonymous

I have a new addiction...

Embroidery is the new knitting!

and my creative juices have been liberated through the discovery of this very cool transfer pen.


All you have to do is trace whatever picture you want to embroider, go over the back of the tracing paper with the transfer pen and then iron it onto the fabric you want to decorate.

Voila!


I'm currently in the process of embroidering speckled birds onto my boring white Ikea pillow cases...


and I've just finished this cute little baby t-shirt for a friend, featuring the ever so brilliant Daniel Johnston's drawing, as made famous by Kurt Cobain.


Everything plain in the house will be getting an embroidery make-over!

11 comments:

  1. Love the top, what a great idea, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these look amazing. I dunno if I have the patience. Sewing in nametapes just did me in! Loving the bird. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make embroidery look really easy by using that pen, what a great idea.
    Thanks for the info on the tomatoes, I think my downfall came by overwatering before i went camping,then a hot weekend with no water then a big drink when I got back. Oh well at least I have a few stocking fillers sorted.
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just what I am needing! Can I ask where you got the pen from? Tried ebay with no results.
    Deb x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am getting to grips with embroidery too... all I need now is more hours in the day and children that don't bicker and meals that cook themselves and wash up after too! then my life will be perfect and full of crochet and embroidery goodness! lol

    loving the little bird, and the tee shirt is fabulous!

    x Alex

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Deb- I just bought it in my very ordinary local fabric shop for £2.99, but I'm blowed if I can find one to buy on-line, how odd! I can find loads of pencils that would do the same thing though, like these http://www.sewessential.co.uk/category.asp?CategoryID=737&NumPerPage=5&page=1 I'm sure you'd be able to get the pen in Hobbycraft etc though.

    Another good tip is to use the google inage search for what you want to embroider and then select 'line drawings' on the options down the right hand side- it comes up with things like children's colouring pages that are ideal for transforming into embroidery patterns xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun! I wish I had more time on my hands. I love embroidering.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great work, i've got a copy of doodle stitching
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doodle-Stitching-Fresh-Embroidery-Beginners/dp/1600590616/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1284116901&sr=8-1
    which i will ever get round to using, if you want it message me your address & i'll post it in the post to you x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh thanks Kelly, that would be wonderful! I'll send you a message on Fb about it x

    ReplyDelete
  10. great

    & you really have to give cables a go - if you can knit socks you'll find them easy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I was small I would admire my mothers embroidery book with intricate designs all imported from the Indian sub-contient. They were ever so pretty, like henna handprints, she was so talented. Now because of poor vision she no longer embroids. Me, I am so bad, she tried to teach me (to become a domestic goddess), so did my Grammam...now I regret. Your creations are certainly calling to me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I read and appreciate every single one. I would love to have time to reply individually to them all, but daily life always seems to scupper my plans x