I seem to have spent every waking minute either working my socks off or marshaling weary children over the last week or so- no time at all for anything creative and the garden is in dire need of attention. To remind myself that life is not always so dreary, I thought I'd tell you a little bit about my trip to London for afternoon tea at the Ritz for my 30th birthday earlier in the year...
The Ritz is the glammest, most kitsch place that I have ever been lucky enough to visit. Afternoon tea is served in an enormous, shiny, golden room called Palm Court- everywhere you look there are polished mirrors, marbled columns and gold leaf...
There is a strict dress code, so Steve had to wear a suit and tie- normally he can only be seen in such attire at weddings and funerals, but he looked incredibly dapper in the vintage threads he selected. He also got the chance to sport these super Lego cuff links I had bought him for Christmas...
I also dressed up for the occasion in a 40s-style outfit, complete with quaffed hair, courtesy of Casey Brown's very useful you tube tutorial. If only I were half as beautiful as her!
Refreshments consisted of champagne and tea (I was very boring and chose the English Breakfast tea from the vast selection) in a silver-plated pot...
not to mention the scrumptious sandwiches (a selection of cheese, cucumber and salmon) which were daintily prepared with their crusts cut off, as well as warm scones and a stand of fancy little cakes...
Every time we picked something up to eat, it was swiftly replaced by a waiter, so it is fair to say we both stuffed ourselves absolutely silly!
OK, so I appreciate this is normally the birthday choice of someone twice my age, but it was what I really really wanted to do. And it was truly a wonderful treat- if you ever get a chance to go, you absolutely must- you won't regret it!!
PS.. Just discovered that Green & Blacks is half price in the Co-op. Quick!!






Oh that sounds and looks wonderful, I would enjoy that too. It's great to have a reason to get dressed.You looked fab, love the polka dots. x
ReplyDeleteThat should read get dressed up!
ReplyDeleteNot just get dressed, you wouldn't want to go to The Ritz in the nude would you! lol
Wow you look fab, love the hair! Where did you get the cufflinks I love them?
ReplyDeleteJacey the cufflinks were from here http://www.folksy.com/items/715457 x
ReplyDeleteHow amazing - it looks so wonderful. Lucky you!
ReplyDeleteA friend's hen party was afternoon tea at the Dorchester which was amazing (not quite so flash though), it released a secret desire in me to experience it at all the great hotels, one day....
You look fab by the way! x
It sounds brilliant, I have always fancied trying it for a birthday treat. You look amazing,love your hair.
ReplyDeleteAnn x
You look beautiful! Gorgeous hair, that style suits you. I have always wanted to do this too, I keep asking Dan to take me. Even if it's not the Ritz, they do it at a hotel here in Bristol, not as glam tho. I hear you on the G&B... where's me coat? x
ReplyDeleteOMG that looks brilliant :) You look fab all dressed up 40's style :)
ReplyDeletePS - I just read the small print ;)
How lucky are you? I once had a plate of sandwiches at the Savoy courtesy of a designer I was working with, but not a full blown tea., and I looked no where near as glam as you did. Any way off to the co op now....
ReplyDeleteOooooh wow! You lucky thing.
ReplyDeleteAnd you're gorgeous by the way.
I deleted my previous comment because I was trying to make a link but it didn't work. Anyhow, I think your tea visit looked very wonderful! Don't you just love the fanciness of it all and the fantastic service! I made a post on my blog about a tea that I went to in Sept. The title of the post is "A fancy book club meeting" if you are interestd. Look for it in my Sept. archives.
ReplyDeleteP.S. You look very pretty in your 40's hair do and dress! I love it!