Saturday, October 9

the plot thickens..

Today Flora and I popped down to our tiny little square of borrowed allotment to collect some tools. I knew it would be scarily weedy as it must be a couple of months since we gave up on it, after all my brassicas were attacked by rabbits/deer and we got offered Pear Tree Cottage garden. However, we were stunned and delighted to see some cabbages and cauliflowers had survived after all- here they are poking through the forest of weeds...

 

Last time I saw them there was just a tiny little nibbled stalk left- I never expected them to bounce back, especially after totally neglecting them! So I grabbed a fork and lifted them up (note my trusty dm boots that I have had since I was 15!)...


and re-planted them at Pear Tree Cottage...


I do hope they like their new home- my mouth is already watering for cauliflower cheese!


I'm really pleased with the progress we have made at Pear Tree Cottage- after so much hard work clearing and digging, it finally feels like we've got somewhere! As well as the brassicas, I've also planted a rhubarb crown this week and my dad manged to rescue the apple tree that had fallen over and was growing along the ground! We're now going to put the finishing touches to the beds, divide them with some more recycled paving slabs and then cover them up for the winter.

It looks very different from when we took it on a few months back, this picture was taken at about the same place as the one above. I just cannot wait until the Spring when we can sow some seeds. I hope those pumpkin seeds I bought at the food festival grow as big as these beauties I spotted on a neighbouring allotment...


Today I also got started on Flora's Princess Leia costume- can you guess what I made the buns out of?



a pair of Totes slipper socks that I picked up in a charity shop for £1!
 

Happy weekend everyone- hope this heatwave we were promised appears tomorrow!


7 comments:

  1. Good effort on the gardening front, here's hoping the cauliflowers come good for you. I missed your original post about gaining the plot at Pear Tree Cottage but having read it I have to say the owner is a very generous lady indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting having your veg patch closer to home... and hopefully more protected from the deer and rabbit population! ;D

    we were told that we would have sunshine this afternoon but as of yet it has not appeared! :(
    maybe tomorrow!

    think I will do some digging and gardening tomorrow...

    I have been looking for rhubarb to plant... not sure where to get one though? will have to search some online garden shops me thinks! ;D

    x Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, fantastic work at Pear Tree Cottage it is looking great! Are you going to sew some green manure to overwinter? We have put in some mustard, winter tares and field beans... all will be good until spring. Prettier and cheaper than plastic. Lou x

    ReplyDelete
  4. loving the 'buns' hair band, can't wait to see F in her costume!

    & good work at the cottage plot - you really must have green fingers,
    Kellyx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you've been busy at pear tree, what a difference, looks great.
    Hope the caulis settle in to their new home!
    Also hope you get some of this sunshine, saying that we have sun but unfortunately it's accompanied with high winds so we're being blown everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness...I love the princess Leia hair buns you made! what a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our allotment is a right mess at the moment - months of neglect too and I fear it is over grown to jungle proportion.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I read and appreciate every single one. I would love to have time to reply individually to them all, but daily life always seems to scupper my plans x