Friday, January 14

behold the holy grail

Still no laptop (booooo!) as it's still off being repaired. All is not lost, however, as my wonderfully kind friend has leaped to my rescue by lending me her little netbook (hurrah!), which means I'm back online at last.

How has everybody's year been going so far? Mine has already had it's ups and downs- just as I was heading off to bed in the early hours of New Year's Day morning I heard a worrying scratching noise coming from the kitchen ceiling, which to my horror turned out to be a family of mice that had taken up residence in there (thankfully our landlord got them sorted out swiftly). So much for the theory that having a cat keeps the mice away- our rather relaxed feline could not have given a hoot!


More suffering then ensued when my eagerly awaited new camera never turned up- I am never going to buy anything expensive online ever again, no matter how much of a bargain it seems. Thank goodness I paid by Paypal and I've just received a refund, so will be trying to buy the same model in the real shops this weekend.

It's not all doom and gloom though, as we had a call from the Allotment Society yesterday, telling us we are top of the waiting list and they are hopeful that they will have a plot available for us in February. I am so excited because, much as I love Pear Tree Cottage Garden, it does feel very strange digging up someone else's land and I'm always panicking that the children are making too much noise and upsetting the neighbours when we are there, and other little things like that. I would be so much happier up at the proper allotments, picking up tips from fellow allotmenteers and swapping produce. If we are lucky enough to get our own plot this Spring, we will still use Pear Tree Cottage this year as we've worked so hard to get it ready and it will allow us time to really get the allotment set up perfectly.

But the highlight of 2011 so far has to be getting my hands on the most beautiful piece of Pyrex ever beheld- a stunning JAJ snowflake gravy boat, which fills me with joy every time a see it...











 Who would have thought the sight of a gravy boat would be enough to shake off the January blues?



4 comments:

  1. yay! your back! Wow lovely news about the allotment and I soooo love the pyrex! i am trying to whip Dans ass at scrabble, but too tired to care! Have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a little pyrex bowl with the snowflake pattern on, it's my favourite of all my pyrex bowls. Such a simple, yet pleasing design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fab to have you back online !!!!!! love the gravy boat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news about the allotment - it'll be just in time to start this years growing too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I read and appreciate every single one. I would love to have time to reply individually to them all, but daily life always seems to scupper my plans x