Sunday, January 16

spring dreaming

What a wonderful weekend- I managed to lay my hands on the camera I wanted (trusty old John Lewis), walked in the woods in between showers, went out for a meal with Steve on our own for the first time in about ten months and topped it off by watching multiple back to back Mad Men episodes, snuggled up in front of the fire. I feel utterly spoilt!

And it would seem that Spring is on the way. This morning, whilst I was sorting out the recycling, I noticed that the crocuses and tulips that I potted up in November have already started peaking through their cosy compost blankets...





I was almost certain that they wouldn't survive the harsh weather we had- those pots were frozen solid for weeks.




Seeing signs of new life has set me planning great things for our charming, but rather shabby back yard. It currently looks like this...



but I want it to look something like this...

image credit dottie angel  

Any suggestions on how to achieve this miraculous transformation would be greatly appreciated! Pop over to my pinterest board for more of my back yard musings.

I do hope dreary January isn't making everyone too glum and that relaxing weekends were had by all xx

12 comments:

  1. it's great to have you back on-line, sounds like you've had a great weekend, your back yard might be shabby but what a log store!!! i'm sure once the days get longer you'll get inspired to turn it into a great useful space, all quite exciting

    Kellyx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhhh what a superly fab looking out buildings!
    i can see that vision you have! how wonderful, just a lick of paint some fun bunting...brighten it up...oh how exciting...my yard is super tiny, just enough room for pots, sweet peas bike and sand play bit and thats it...tho we do enjoy it all the same...just abit of space is enough to feel aprt of out door living and planting some veggies ;0)x Enjoy your super space when the waether warms up and hoping DRIES up abit hehe x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both- there is still a toilet hidden behind all our logs and the other out house still has one of those old copper water heater thingy, that you light a fire underneath! There's loads of storage space though- I think they're quite charming xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice camera, nice photos! Sounds like you are having a much better weekend over there than we are... anyway... very envious of the wood pile (and the fact you have a burner!)... how lucky are you to have all that space.. cant wait to see how your garden grows x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bricks as they are, don't paint or clad them it would be sacralige (however it is spelt! plants and a nice table will go a long way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't worry- i love the bricks too- they'll be staying as they are (they match the victorian extension on the back of the cottage). I just want to paint the doors and other wood bits, get all the moss and stuff that's growing out of the guttering and sort out all the weird stuff growing on the roof! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love the bricks, it'll look lovely with a few lanterns and some sweetpeas growing up the walls. Utterly charming, nice to see you back too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the bricks too. lick of paint on the woodwork, bunting and some climbing roses coming up out of the corner of the two parts. Lucky you an en-suite garden!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely inspiration for your garden - I'm sure it will be transformed into something beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know this isn't what you want to hear - but I think your backyard really is very gorgeous and already has such potential! I love red brick (very little of it in our part of the UK) and I adore the whole weather patina of your outhouses!
    So maybe some planting, some coloured pots, some quirky items etc would look good?
    Looking forward to seeing what will become of it :-)
    Denise x

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh back again! The photos on your pinterest board are amazing - those quirky planters: suitcases, drawers, guitar (!) - just stunning! Oh yes, bring on the quirky planters!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I read and appreciate every single one. I would love to have time to reply individually to them all, but daily life always seems to scupper my plans x