Sunday, January 30

finding the plot

As well as the bird watching, we've had a pretty jam-packed weekend. On Saturday we popped to a local town to do some shopping and have lunch. There were many charity shops to nose round and I picked up my favourite Pyrex find yet- a mere pound!


It's been given pride of place inside my 1950s oak G-plan cabinet (itself a charity shop purchase) with all my favourite finds.


On Saturday night I went on a very rare night out with some girlfriends, complete with a Joan Holloway inspired up-do. I loved my hair so much that I might just become one of those slightly odd people who dress in a time-warp all the time, although I think I would have to get up at 4am  every day if I were to keep it up.


Being out late on the town was much better fun than I expected-  I really ought to stop being such an old woman and go out more than once a year.

Then, this morning I popped in to see my dad, who had been busy preserving the seasonal Seville oranges in the form of delicious shredded marmalade. Luckily he'd put a generous jar aside for us, mmmmmm...


But today's most exciting activity of all was that we were shown round our new allotment- yes we finally got our very own patch!

Look how lucky we are- lots of it's even been dug over already!


I'm really pleased that there is a shed, even if it is a little, erm, 'rustic'. I'm sure we'll be able to smarten it up a little bit, although at the moment it is full of hay!


What on earth could the previous allotmenteer possibly have wanted with all these bales- rather too much to mulch strawberries with, isn't it?!


It's so wonderful to think that it is really ours for who knows how many years to come- the first thing I'm going to plant is a little apple tree. I might even organise a little planting ceremony!

Hope you all had lovely weekends- even if it went far too quickly like ours. x

9 comments:

  1. Oooh it looks like you had a fun packed weekend...your hair looks gorgeous and I am so jealous of your allotment. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yipppeeee! Looks bloomin amazing your new plot. Flat, dug and ready to roll! Get some garlic in quick sharp, before the weather warms up!

    Loving the vintage babes. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hair looked so fab......and plot looks great, can't wait to see what you make of it. glad you had a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sometimes people dig hay into the soil to improve organic composition - but in your neck of the woods, and on an already established plot, i suspect a secret pony somewhere!
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. loving the hair! & what great news about the plot, bet you're having fun just planning what you're going to grow!
    Kellyx

    ReplyDelete
  6. oohh what a fab weekend :-) Love the hair, I know what you mean about getting out more, it is the lack of sleep that stops me - I know it will catch up on me later in the week :-( Maybe your former allotment owner wanted to own a pig :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. glad you had a good weekend, and wow look at your plot, i think you are very lucky and thats its dug over you can get straight to work how exciting x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhhh, I love your new garden spot! It's quite a nice size! You are probably so happy! I have to say, I am very jealous of the homemade marmalade your Dad made and gave to you! It looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Put one bale on top of the other with a tomato plant planted in between - and no weeding to do!

    (Or was that four bales - two on top and two on the bottom - so the plant(s) can grow up between them ... hmmm?)

    Janey
    janeyknitting@yahoo.ca

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I read and appreciate every single one. I would love to have time to reply individually to them all, but daily life always seems to scupper my plans x