Sunday, January 30

rockin' robin

Today, as planned, we took part in the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch.

The best view of our garden is from the bathroom window so we threw out some bread, made ourselves comfortable and waited eagerly for the birds to arrive.



Flora was in charge of recording the birds we saw. Our most frequent visitors were house sparrows, which didn't surprise me, as we have noticed before that they seem to come and go from under the eaves of the house next door.


Our favourite bird was a really large robin who popped by to cheekily steel some bread from the roof of the outhouse- he had the reddest breast I've ever seen! Can you spot him?


Then, because I'd been bitten by the birdwatching bug, we dug out some birdsong records which we picked up at a carboot sale last year and listened to a man with a classic 1960s BBC accent identifying the different calls.


How did everyone else get on with their birdwatch- any surprises?
Flora was a bit disappointed that we never saw a peacock!



6 comments:

  1. I love the idea of background bird song to get you all in the 'mood' xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh well done. We had every intention of doing this at the allotment today, but had a last minute family lunch to go to instead... It would have been pretty cold to sit up the plot for an hour tho. Wish we had a bigger garden where birds actually came to, instead of pooing cats! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love that Flora had hoped she'd see a peacock, how sweet, we don't get much more than blackbirds & robins in our garden at the mo
    kellyx

    ReplyDelete
  4. My girls were NOT interested this time - been a busy week and a stroppy, sulky weekend. So I sat by myself and watched, wish I'd had the birdsong to listen along to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i didnt get round to doing it this year with work and sickness, but how sweet about the peacock, you never know you might of seen one he he x x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dispatched my boys and their Dad up to the common yesterday afternoon to do it. Our garden is a bird free zone due to Rover the cat. It was great I got a bit of peace and quiet to do the v.a.t and they had fun and a run around. We had unsurprisingly for london, a lot of pigeons, but blue tits, blackbirds, robins and a lone wren made guest appearances along the way.
    Again, no peacocks round here either!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I read and appreciate every single one. I would love to have time to reply individually to them all, but daily life always seems to scupper my plans x