Sunday, February 20

the apple does not fall far from the tree

We took a trip up to our allotment this afternoon for the very exciting task of planting our new apple tree. Lou from Little Green Shed had pointed me in the direction of Aldi, where they have a number of different fruit trees, all for £3.99, so I had popped in earlier in the week to pick up this sweet little Braeburn tree.  


I chose Braeburn as it's one of our favourite apple varieties and also because it's supposedly self pollinating. However, I have since read that they don't do so well in cooler climates, so I hope we get lucky with it.

I am just evaluating the space at the plot at the moment, to see if we can fit in any more trees, as I fancy a couple of pear trees too. We have raspberry canes coming later in the week and Steve is going to build our raised beds tomorrow, having gone to buy the wood this morning. We couldn't afford to buy enough wood or all our beds yet, so we're building six this week and then another six in a couple of months' time.



I think we're all crying out for some fresh air and sunshine- just look how pale the girls are looking at the moment. It really does feel as though we've had the longest winter ever!



6 comments:

  1. really lovely post- hope your apple variety does well ;0)x

    your girls are sooooo cute x

    happy half term ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if this is any consolation at all, but we have had the chilliest of summers. I'm looking pretty pale, I took a hot water bottle to bed last night and it isn't even Autumn yet. Pah! To Aussie summer sizzle! Well, this year, anyhoo.

    I shall think happy Braeburn thoughts. Reckon that will help?

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a lovely little post, i keep thinking about getting an apple tree, cooker maybe.
    About your raised beds i went to a local scaffolding company who very nicely let me have some old boards that they dont use any more due to health and safety. i got about 30 at a £1 each bargain, might be worth a go plenty good enough for raised beds x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool, looks like a nice day for planting, check there are other apple tree's nearby or it may not fruit! cant wait to see how the rest of your half term goes......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank everyone- I'm very excited as I've never had my very own fruit tree before. It's so lovely to think it will (hopefully!) be there forever, as we envisage keeping the plot until we're old and grey.

    Saphy- there are plenty of other apple trees about- two on the very next plot and lots in neighbouring ones, but our Braeburn is supposedly self-polinating anyway, so hopefully it will do OK! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous blog you have! And thanks for your comment on mine. I work in a plant nursery and market garden so if you get stuck with anything let me know and i'll try to help!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I read and appreciate every single one. I would love to have time to reply individually to them all, but daily life always seems to scupper my plans x