Inspired by the lovely Emma Bradshaw's recent post about the wondrous art of children's den-building, the girls and I set about constructing our very own half term hide-out. We went for traditional chairs and blankets as our building materials and held it together with a few clothes pegs.
We had the best fun chilling out in it all morning- reading, singing, wordsearching and generally lazing about.
Other special half-termy things we did today included indulging in a scrambled egg brunch...
making Hama bead animals...
and Steve made the first of the raised beds, down at the lottie...
There's loads more half term left to enjoy- tomorrow we're off to Bath to look round the shops and play in the park that the girls love so much. We've just decided that we'll need to pop over to Bristol's Ikea afterwards too as the girl's old bookcase has just collapsed under the weight of their vast library, and there are always plenty other things that we 'need' from there.
Then we've also got a trip to a farm with Flora's Rainbow group lined up and Flora has a sleepover to go to on Friday night. This afternoon we also had a call from the girls' besie uncle, letting us know he's randomly dropping by for a few days from Brighton. We all can't wait to see him- the girls are going wild with excitement!
Happy half term everyone x
well done Steve - great job,
ReplyDeletemy two love building dens, i usually have to let them build them with Andrew as they turn the front room upside down & i find it so hard to try & not tidy up around them! we've had a very lazy day at home too - might have to get the hama beads out now though!
kellyx
I love the den, very cosy.
ReplyDeleteYou girls know how to have fun...don't forget to report back with tomorrows adventure!
Lottie looks ace!! What excellent news that you can grow more than you thought. One more step to self-sufficiency! X
ReplyDeleteSounds like you're all having a great half term. We used to do den making when the boys were smaller - would keep them happy for hours.
ReplyDeleteA trip to Ikea - how great - we need so many things from there when funds allow.
Yay ~ I love the den just perfect! The Paddington material caught my eye from the 70's (?) too! I will post a round up soon of the latest collection of dens from around the UK!
ReplyDeletelove Emma ;0)
Looks great, glad you are having a fab family half term.
ReplyDeleteI want a den in the office !!!!!!
i love the den, aint they great, makes the kids feel like they have there own special little place too, it brings back plenty of memories from my own childhood, have a good rest of the week it sounds like you are going to have plenty of fun x
ReplyDeleteEmma- the paddington duvet cover was my own from the early 80s and has now been passed down to Pearl who is a big paddington fan x
ReplyDeleteOh, that's the prettiest den! I recognise several of the fabrics in the quilt with square patches, Annie's made me a teatowel and a toy cat for S using the same stuff :)We love the park in Bath too,and lunch at Ikea. Nice to know you're in the West Country too! Laura x
ReplyDeleteOh what a perfect day! Loving the den, your girls behaving themselves and using the den properly. Unlike my two who would wrestle, roll around and pull the whole thing over. I am planning to do this den building tho, but just for me! xxxx p.s well done Steve, bloomin perfect veg beds, better than dans skew whiff efforts! p.p.s see you tom! x
ReplyDeleteBeaut photos. Did you crochet the blanket?? Enjoy the half term! X
ReplyDeletewow this is all so magical. so glad i just found your blog. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for all your lovely comments, we had such a nice day and I can't actually believe how well behaved the girls are being this week. They were the same at Christmas and it makes me really notice how lovely they are when I have a bit of time for them. Normally I'm so knackered after working all week that I think I'm a bit impatient with them at weekends and we get into a bit of a downward spiral- makes me so sad that my financial need to work obviously affects them- the guilt!!
ReplyDeleteEmma- no, sadly I can't crochet- just can't get the hang of it at all. The granny squares one you can barely see at the back was a carboot find, the big stripey one is from Ikea and the yellow , green and orange one was crocheted by a lovely work colleague when I went on maternity leave with Pearl xx
Such heavenly childhood memories you arecreating for your girls...there is nothing better than a den when you are little ad it's grey outside. Enjoy the rest of the half term off with your family xox look forwardto seeng your produce from lottie :0)
ReplyDeletesorry such bad spelling...typing too quickly!
ReplyDeleteThis looks wonderful! Please come and make me a den?!
ReplyDeleteEmily x
I have just found your lovely blog and spent quite a bit of time reading from last April. Dinner was a little late as a result. Such a bad mother. I have just started to blog and feel I have to learn so much when I read blogs like yours!
ReplyDeleteGorgeous photos! I love the tent, it looks so cozy! x
ReplyDeleteFab den - love all those fabrics and the girls look sooo happy!
ReplyDelete