Yesterday I could almost hear the vegetation sighing with relief when the rainclouds finally arrived. They poured down on and off for most of the day, leaving the most incredible smell of freshness in the air that is impossible to describe.
Up at the allotment, I couldn't believe the difference the rain had made- all the plants were the most perfect bright green and many of them seemed to have doubled in size. The broadbeans are now completely covered in flowers and the purple sprouting broccoli has bounced back with a vengeance. Even the strawberries I thought I'd lost have come through unscathed. Sadly the rhubarb hasn't recovered, but I don't think that was because of the dry weather, I just think it didn't like being moved from my parents in law's garden and had developed some unfortunate crown rot. Fortunately, several of our neighbouring allotmenteers have offered us free-pick of their booming plants so we won't go without rhubarb crumble this year.
The soil, which had become rock-hard and almost impossible to dig is now perfectly soft and crumbley. Today we got on and planted out our peas and beans, as well as our maincrop spuds (late, but I was stalling because I wasn't sure if we had the room for them) and I even risked planting out the courgettes and squashes under covers. I've popped lots of little french marigold seedlings in amongst the beds, in the hope that they will keep the bugs off the crops as we've had a few nibbled leaves already.
I hope everyone else had good weekends- what a horrible thought that we actually have a five day week for the first time in ages!




Love love love these pics!!!!
ReplyDeletethe 5 day week's going to be a very long one... we've been so spoilt by lovely long holidays. still, nearly half-term!
ReplyDeletegreat to see how the plants have flourished with the rain after all these weeks of dryness.
yay to the rain! You are brave putting your courgettes & squashes out! Mine are still too tiny to do that yet. Dont think about a 5 day week... think of it as 5 evenings to potter about for yourself! Have a great week lovely! lou xx
ReplyDeleteoh the lush greens of new shoots and vegetations, love this time of year! i was in Cornwall and loved the rain, luckily it was light not heavey!...made everything sparkle when the sun finally showed her pretty facey ;0)x
ReplyDeletei love your piccys- so dreamy!
all your plantings and new shoots- you have been busy! x enjoy x
we don't have a word in English for the smell of rain after a really long dry spell, but lots of languages do - we need to borrow one! My spuds are still in the boot of the car...
ReplyDeleteGood news about the rain. We have had a couple of sunny days in a row here so maybe all my wishing did send it your way.
ReplyDeleteYou make me wish for an allotment so badly, despite the fact I know nothing about growing my own food. Beautiful pictures! x
ReplyDeleteWoohoo for rain (as long as it keeps off my washing) Our plants have grown huge too.
ReplyDeleteYou know you're a proper grown up when you wish for rain for the sake of your plants.
Oh yes- that smell- I love it even after the rain has hit the concrete- but particularly after the rain has hit the grass and trees, mmm.
ReplyDeleteI loved this post! One day, when I finally get my proper allotment, will you and Lou (my fave blog allotment ladies) help me to keep it alive?!!! We had one quite successfully in the garden but without a hosepipe (and more time than we could affird) it died after one season, so sad!