Thursday, August 4

a novel scenario

 
I will bashfully confess to being a rather picky and infrequent reader these days. Well, pretty much all of my adult life really. Uni was consumed with reading mountains of text books and beyond then, my poor brain has struggled to concentrate amid juggling all the other bits and bobs it has to think about and remember. I've become too accustomed to being interrupted by an impatient kidlet, or my hen-pecking subconscious inciting me to do something more productive. I find it hard to relax and am generally too wired to curl up with a book, having fallen into the habit over the years of fidgeting with things- the knitting, sewing or social networking. A world away from the library junkie I was in my youth.

So on our camping trip last week I did something I haven't done in so long, I can't even remember the last time it happened. I went into a bookshop. And bought a novel. For myself. Not as a present for someone else. Not a gardening guide. Not a knitting pattern. Not a dusty old Penguin Classic from a charity shop, purchased because the cover was pretty. An actual, real, recently published novel for myself. To read.

I browsed discerningly amongst the shelves for some time, wrinkling my nose at the bubble-gum pink, cupcake or handbag-embossed covers, that seem to be aimed at women my age. Raised an eyebrow at numerous shadow-written autobiographies of people I'd vaguely heard of. Dismissed others for looking rather too earnest to read on a beach holiday. Eventually I selected a book that appeared to be a happy medium between serious literature and feminine appeal.

I absolutely loved the book I chose- I am no critic, but I can guarantee if you are looking for a fantastic, clever, subtle, humorous, heart-warming and riveting read, you will not be disappointed. It contains two interwoven story lines- one set in 1950s Soho and the other in modern day North London. As the plot unravels, the gentle hints dotted around the chapters begin to piece together, but it is only towards the end that it becomes fully apparent how the stories are connected, finishing with a remarkable twist. I was in tears at least three times throughout reading this book and I could not count the number of times I laughed out loud. It was utterly charming and I cannot wait to read more of Maggie O'Farrell's work.

So I do believe I am a converted bookworm. Would anyone like to recommend me a book to read next- old or new, anything brilliant will do...


Read the Printed Word!



14 comments:

  1. Hi Charley. That's a nice little write up. I've been reading the following this summer. All of which I would highly recommend:

    -A widower for a year: John Irving.
    -A long way down: Nick Hornby
    -The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency: Alexander McCall Smith.
    -Bossy Pants: Tina Fey.

    Also Meera Syal is good.
    Ruby x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reckon you'd love The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox - I love Maggie O'Farrell too. Also try Consequences by Penelope Lively. Oh, and Restless by William Boyd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a massive fan of Maggie O'Farrell, too. I think After You'd Gone is my favorite though.

    Other great reads:

    One Day by David Nicholls

    The Help by Kathryn Stockett

    The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins

    In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick

    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

    and

    Divergent by Veronica Roth

    Hhhmmm...that's quite a few, but most of them are really fast reads! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to look out for this one, thanks. I don't do much reading nowadays either and find it hard to get into a book. I've just read 'Room' by Emma Donoghue which I got through very quickly for once. Also, I do love your cup too :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right,you really need to settle in and committ to a book. I find it hard to get time to dedicate to a good solid read, but it's great when it happens. Love in a cold climate by Nancy Mittford is a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh I would definitely agree on 'Room' by Emma Donoghue, 'The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox', After You'd Gone' and 'The Book Thief' - all brilliant and completely absorbing! I'd add 'Behind the Scenes at the Museum' by Kate Atkinson (and all her other books, I love the way she writes!) , 'The Suspicions of Mr Whicher' by Kate Summerscale (it was a Rich&Judy read I think so there are lots in charity shops!), 'The Night Watch' by Sarah Waters, and any Scarlett Thomas books - The End of Mr Y is my favourite! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Maggie O'Farrell too although I haven't read that one. Will pick it up now. I agree with everything sweetpea recommended. will be down to the library tomorrow to find your recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would recommend One Day by David Nicholls, I drank this one up. One absolutely NOT to bother with is The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas. I've just read it for my book club and will have lots to say when we meet! I've not read anything by Maggie O'Farrell so thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A good friend of mine bought me a book for my birthday earlier in the year, I read it first when I was about 15. It was amazing then and amazing now.
    "The L shaped room" by Lynne Ried Banks. Set in the early 1960's. It is the story of a young woman who becomes pregnant and decides to keep the baby and go on her own. Sounds depressing? not at all think I'm not really doing it justice here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just read some of the other comments and have to agree whole heartedly with Anita. One ady is brilliant, you should read it quickly as the film will be out soon. And the Slap is one of the worst books I have ever read! And I've read Room by Emma Donohugh thats great and very easy to read. In fact every thing sweet pea recomends, except the suspicions of Mr whitcher which I thought was truly dreadful! Going now or I will run on all night!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww what a gorgeous post... yeah I'm a long way from the book worm I once was. It makes me feel guilty, but you're right, it makes me feel guilty sitting down with a book... silly huh? Haven't read that book so will need to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the recommendation. At the moment, I am completely engrossed in The Outlander series by Diana Gabaladon. I just move from one book right into the next.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I know what you mean - I either get stuck in books for a while or read nothing but magazines and gardening books for months on end. I've been trying to just read a couple of chapters in the evenings, even found myself reading while cooking the tea the other day!

    I love historical novels and particularly anything set in the 40s. My best read of the past year is The Burning Blue by James Holland. Its about a WWII Spitfire pilot and how his past affects the present and his relationships with his closest friends. Beautifully written, evocative and atmospheric.

    Have a smashing weekend.
    Stephx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thankyou so much for all those fabulous suggestions everyone. I feel a trip to the library coming on! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I read and appreciate every single one. I would love to have time to reply individually to them all, but daily life always seems to scupper my plans x