Monday, August 8

strawberry ice cream


Yesterday I used some of the strawberries we picked to make Nigella's strawberry ice cream. I was a virgin ice cream maker and this turned out well for a first attempt and really benefited from the juicy fresh berries I crammed into the mixture. However, the finished texture was a little crunchier than I had hoped for, despite me whipping it like mad every hour, to stop the ice crystals forming. I wonder if it's just not possible to make perfect, smooth ice cream without a machine?

Happy Monday- enjoy the rest of the week, whatever you're up to!

10 comments:

  1. That looks yum! We did some PYO too, although all my strawbs have gone into jam/ the boys tummies. I make a mint icecream (recipe here) which comes out smooth without a machine, but you do use a food processor to blend it halfway through. My jam was Nigella's strawberry, it's delicious, but not quite as thick as I would have liked. It pains me to say it, but perhaps even Nigella's recipes can be fallible?! Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really tasty, is it easy to make?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura- I don't have a processor either- we even had to blend the strawberries with a potato masher haha! My kitchen is a bit void of gadgets, for some reason. My dad did say I could borrow his ice cream maker though, so I may give it another go, and your mint one. I love mint ice cream.

    Rachael- it was easy, but long winded. And the ingredients cost a fortune... I may stick to half price haagen dazs in the future! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh totally yum! It looks perfectly sinful! xLOu c

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, now I'm salivating....!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks yummy. I may just have to try making some x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's just summer in a bowl! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so delicious. Yum yum! And another gorgeous photo too.

    Emily x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, that looks amazing...How many hours did it take to make? (Wondering as you said whipping every hour!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can only imagine how good that must have tasted with the fresh strawberries! I have never made ice cream, I suppose one day I will though!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I read and appreciate every single one. I would love to have time to reply individually to them all, but daily life always seems to scupper my plans x