Sunday, August 29

damsons in distress

I know, sorry about the pun- they're getting cornier, aren't they!


Just above our little secret outhouse is a wild damson tree which is now brimming with fruit ripe for picking. I hadn't a clue what to do with a damson until this week, when Alys Fowler was tweeting about some damson vodka she had made, so I decided I needed to get in on the action.


I picked (or rather sent Steve up a ladder to pick) approximately 2 lbs of damsons which I chopped in half and pushed through the neck of a handy bottle, which had contained some Weston's cider until last weekend. I then added just over 1 lb of sugar and a litre of cheap vodka and gave the whole thing a rigorous shake.


I now need to leave it for three or four months and then I will need to strain out the fruit and decant it into bottles. In theory, I should have some lovely pink syrupy liqueur, just in time for Christmas!


I would welcome any other interesting suggestions for what I should do with the rest of the damsons- I'm going to be using the plums at Pear Tree Cottage to make jam, so I don't really think I can be bothered with damson jam as well!

8 comments:

  1. Just make more vodka :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe- good plan! Might need some help to drink it though! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'd reluctantly volunteer, I suppose x

    ReplyDelete
  4. No I can't think of anything else you could do with them except more vodka!!!
    Jacey x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo yum! Yeah vodka all the way! My mum has just made Damson jam, but jam is just jam really... damson vodka, you have a party! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must agree if you have jam make yummy flavoured vodka... how about damson gin? I know you can make sloe Gin but surely you can make damson gin too!?.... http://www.cottagesmallholder.com/two-recipes-wild-damson-gin-and-sloe-gin-37 see I found a damson gin recipe for you!

    x Alex

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh its already looking good and lucky you to have access to some damsons. I haven't spotted any damson trees where I am. As for recipes, I have to admit, I've never seen them for real, eaten them or cooked with them. Damson jam, damson vodka and damson gin would have been my suggestions to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to be making Damson gin this year, usually only do sloe, but thought i would branch out, as well as the cherry brandy and the rasberry gin. May be we should do a booze swap at around Christmas time. What fun. Little bottles of fruit flavoured alchohol in the post. Well it would help dull the pain of over excited children constantly asking how many more sleeps till santa comes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I read and appreciate every single one. I would love to have time to reply individually to them all, but daily life always seems to scupper my plans x